1 The Hickory Chair

The Hickory Chair

Written by Lisa Rowe Fraustino

Illustrated by Benny Andrews

Reviewed by Xavier C. (age 9)

The Hickory Chair

The Hickory Chair is about a boy that is blind but he sees with his heart. We call that blind sight. In the beginning of the story, Louis asked Gran to hide him in "hide and go seek." No one found him. Then Gran died. Louis's father came to the school to tell him the bad news. Louis and Gran loved each other very much. Gran used to hide notes in her favorite places. Louis found everybody's favorite note except his. When Louis was an old man his grandchild stuck her hand in a little hole in the hickory chair. When she pulled it out her hand was in a fist. Louis unrolled it, and?you?ll have to read the book to find out the rest.

I liked this book because it has striking feelings. It made me feel like I was about to cry. My favorite person is Gran's tallest grandson because I am the tallest child in the house. This book tugged at my heart-strings because there was so much emotion in it. This was nothing like I usually read. Actually, it's the saddest book I've ever read. The story reminds me of myself because I have felt left out at times in my life.

I highly recommend The Hickory Chair because it is heart touching. I think nine and ten year olds would probably understand the message best of all. If you like soul-touching books, you should read this book.