1 The Magician's Nephew

The Magician's Nephew

Written by C.S. Lewis

Illustrated by Pauline Baynes

Reviewed by Chloe G (age 11)

The Magician's Nephew

Digory has just moved to London with his mother and made a friend named Polly. Uncle Andrew (Digory's uncle) makes these rings that can take you to a different world, in this case Narnia. They are in a land with all sorts of animals trying to find a way to get Queen Jadis back to her original land, Charn. One more problem, Digory's mother is very ill and close to her death. Digory and Polly are set on an adventure to find a cure for Digory's mother. Will they ever get Queen Jadis back? Will they ever get themselves back? Read this book to uncover the mystery.

This book reminds me of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, the sequal to The Magician's Nephew. These two books have several things in common. The one that I find the most interesting that Uncle Andrew tried to lure Digory and Polly to put on one of his "Magic rings", and in the other book, white witch tried to lure Edmund to come back to Narnia with the delicious Turkish Delight.

My favorite part of the book is when Uncle Andrew puts on his best clothes to impress "the Queen Jadis." He puts on his top hat, his best coat and stands in the mirror just murmuring to himself how handsome he looks and how Queen Jadis is totally going to fall for him. I like this part of the book because the author describes, without saying anything, how cocky this man really is.

I think this book is unique because everything fits. What I mean is, one person that was a kid in one story will become a very important adult in the next story. I think that is clever of C.S. Lewis to publish a book like that.

My favorite character is Queen Jadis. Yes I know that she is the villian of the book but in my opinion she puts the humor in the story that no other character did.

I would most definitely recommend this book to older kids, because it so hilarious. Queen Jadis is always making fun of uncle Andrew and he has to suck it up because it is out of his reach by far. This book is for people who love to laugh. I really enjoyed this book and I bet you will too.