1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Hannah B. (age 12)

I just finished reading the book, Number the Stars by Lois Lowery. Annemarie and Ellen are best friends. There are some exciting events that happened such as on the Jewish new year, the Nazis stole the list of Jews names from the synagogue. Another suspenseful event was when Ellen goes to live with Annemarie to hide because Ellen is Jewish and she pretends to be Lise, Annemarie?s dead sister. The Nazis rampaged into the apartment looking for the Rosens. Annemarie?s mother, Mrs. Johanasin told the Nazis that only their family was there. The Nazis questioned about Ellen. Then Mr. Johanasin showed the solders pictures of Lise, Annemarie, and Kirsti when they were babies. That convinced the Nazis and they left. Mrs. Johanasin, Ellen, Annemarie, and Kirsti went north next to the sea. They went to Uncle Henrick?s house to be safe. A casket was delivered to the house that had ?Great Aunt Bertie? in it. Annemarie found out that there was no one in the casket, just blankets and coats! Later on in the story, Annemarie finds out that the blankets are for the Jews escaping to Sweden to be free. Ellen and her family leave for Sweden. But it is very dangerous because if the Nazis found them, they would be killed!

I liked the book because it interesting and suspenseful. My favorite part was when Annemarie was running through the woods to bring Uncle Hennrick his lunch because she the memories of her childhood. The book made me really think about the real Resistance fighters.

Will Ellen and her family get caught? Read Number the Stars to find out! I?m sure you?ll love it!