1 Love, Ruby Lavender

Love, Ruby Lavender

Written by Deborah Wiles

Reviewed by Georgia C. (age 11) & Jackie D. (age 10)

Love, Ruby Lavender

Save those chickens! Ruby Lavender shouts and runs as the chickens are inches away from the chopping block. Ruby Lavender and Miss Eula, Ruby's grandmother are the keepers of three rescued chickens. Ruby's best friend is Miss Eula. Ruby's life was almost perfect until Miss Eula leaves for Hawaii to visit her new baby granddaughter for a while. While she is there she leaves Ruby alone with the chickens and Melba Jane, Ruby's enemy. While Miss Eula is in Hawaii they exchange many letters explaining what has been happening. Ruby and Melba Jane have many serious arguments. Ruby's life is not so perfect any more.

We think Love, Ruby Lavender is a great book because it shows true friendship between people that are years apart. In a way you might be able to relate yourself to parts of this story. We found Ruby interesting because she was like a tomboy going out and having fun playing with the chickens. Melba Jane makes a huge change from the beginning of the story to the end. She went from being a selfish brat to a person that is very caring.

We would definitely recommend this book to people that love reading books that are suspenseful and exciting because you never know what is going to happen next, especially with Melba Jane. Just be prepared for excitement when you read this book!