1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Scott W. (age 11)

This book is based on World War II and Adolph Hitler?s ruling time and the killing of the Jews. This would be a great book for people who like a big adventure. This is a suspenseful book with some detail about World War II, and how the Germans took over Copenhagen, Denmark. For Annemarie, the main character of the story, quitting is not an option. She must save her friend Ellen and the Rosens so they don?t get captured by the Nazis.

I liked this book because it captured my imagination. I thought the whole book was very interesting and I now know sort of what life in World War II was like. When I read the book I felt badly for the Jewish people getting killed beaten and having to leave their homes and run away from the Nazis. My favorite part was when Annemarie was delivering a secret package to her Uncle Henrik that he needs to have to save the Jews from the Nazis. Henrik must have the package to ship the Jews to Sweden to be free. On the way to the ship Annemarie was caught by the Nazis. They searched her but she got through the interrogation fine. Finally, Annemarie got to Uncle Henrik and gave the package to him.

I recommend this book to people who like history and suspenseful books, and maybe a kind hearted audience would like this book. The role of Annemarie might interest a lot of readers with her courage and bravery when saving her friend?s life.