1 The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

Written by Avi

Reviewed by Matilda B. (age 9)

The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle

Not every nineteenth century girl goes on a ship alone and turns into a rowdy sailor. Not every day do you see a girl throw a knife with the skill of a well-trained pirate. Not every girl changes Misses to Mister, long hair to short hair, fluffy skirts to rough breeches and her cream white hands all for the trust of a crew.

Charlotte Doyle does all this to take revenge on a mutinous pirate of a captain.

Charlotte Doyle goes on a ship to America and gets this amazing experience full of rats and roaches and danger everywhere.

I really liked the character Zachariah. He was smart and good, but I also like Charlotte. She is very brave and I would like to be like her.

This book is so special to me. I have never read a book like it. It?s nerve racking, but, at the same time, you?re thinking the author must have somehow conjured glue into it! You are stuck reading twenty-four ? seven!

As I read this book, I thought of the things I could do to be more like Charlotte. Go on a sailing trip again for instance! I was so moved, so scared, so anxious. I really loved this book!

A feminist or a teacher reading to her/his students would love this book. This is a mystery mixed with an adventure in 200 pages. A reader looking for a book thick and juicy would find their pleasure here.