1 Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower

Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower

Written by Peggy Parish

Illustrated by Fritz Siezel

Reviewed by Maxine R. (age 6)

Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower

Does anyone in your family get things as mixed up as Amelia Bedelia? Actually, probably not! Amelia Bedelia is a super funny character who was asked to help set up a surprise shower that she was invited by Miss Alma. She was asked to ice the cupcakes. She was also asked to scale and ice the fish but she iced the fish with chocolate icing. Next, she was asked to prune the hedge but she took a box of prunes and put them on the hedge. Then she was asked to run over the tablecloth with an iron but Amelia Bedelia got the iron and she ran all over the table cloth. Then, Mrs. Roger asked them to put all the chopped flowers in a large silver bowl except she chopped them way too short but she still put them in a silver bowl. Then it was time for the surprise shower and the guests figured out that she did everything wrong! At first, they were surprised then they were mad and if you want to find out the ending, well, you would just have to read the book!

I like the book Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower because Amelia Bedelia does everything wrong and she is really funny. I also like the author’s writing style and illustrations. I love this book because it is funny in a good way. My favorite part of the story is when she puts prunes on the hedge and when she iced the fish. I like the character Amelia Bedelia because she is a super funny character. This book is one in a series of Amelia Bedelia books. This book reminds me of the original book, Amelia Bedelia, because in that book, she also does everything wrong. It also reminds me of the book, Thank You Amelia Bedelia. I think that Thank You Amelia Bedelia is better than Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower but I still think that this is an awesome book. This book reminds me when I went to my uncle’s anniversary except it was not as crazy and there was a lot more food at the anniversary I went to. One thing I still do not know is if Amelia Bedelia is purposely doing things wrong or if she did not know that she was doing things wrong. I think that the author is very funny because she makes the characters super funny and they are always doing things wrong in a funny way.

If you like funny/silly books, this is the book for you. I think this book is for children in kindergarten, first grade, second grade, third grade, fourth grade and fifth grade. If you like doing things wrong, I think this book would help you a lot.