Adventure According to Humphrey

Written by Betty G. Birney

Reviewed by Hannah E. (age 9)

In Adventure According to Humphrey, Humphrey is a nice, kind hamster who loves going on adventures. Humphreyís class is going to Potterís Pond to have a boat race. Humphrey is disappointed because he doesnít get to go. The class worked in groups of two to make a boat that they will race. Whoever wins will get a ribbon. Richie is jealous because Kirk is doing all the work on the boat. So Richie plans on bringing a remote control submarine to the boat race and glide next to Kirkís boat and show him he knows something about boats too. Gail and Heidi arenít agreeing on whether to do a plain boat or a colorful boat. Humphrey doesnít like the way things are progressing with partners and he wants to do something. One night Humphrey takes a stroll around the classroom and accidentally dozes off in Kirk and Richieís boat. They put the boat in the water and Humphrey sailed off. Did Richieís submarine hit the boat? Did Humphrey fall into the water? Well, you just have to read the book to find out.

I liked the author because she is creative. I think the author is creative because after every chapter in the book she puts a quote from Jolly Rogerís Guide to Life. Not a lot of authorís do that. An example is after chapter 1 it said ďIf ye be seeking adventure, mateys, the only place to look be the high seas! From Jolly Rogerís Guide to Life by I.C Waters.Ē I learned that even though someone is mean to you doesnít mean you have to be mean back. When Kirk was being mean to Richie and doing all the work on the boat didnít mean Richie had to bring the submarine to the contest. My favorite part was when Humphrey was in the boat and pretended to sail. That was my favorite part because I didnít know what was going to happen next.

I recommend this book to boys and girls in second grade and up. If you like adventure, and cute animals, then you will like this book. I think you will like this book if you like authors with unique style. Humphrey is a nice, kind, and funny character who loves solving other peopleís problems. If you like that kind of character, then you will like this book. Now all you have to do is. . . READ!

Hannah E. is a student in Mrs. Foglia's 3rd Grade Class
2016-2017