Because of Winn-Dixie

Written by Kate DiCamillo

Reviewed by Kylie S. (age 8)

Do you like sad books that gives you a lot of feelings? If so, you should read Because of Winn-Dixie. It is about a girl named India Opal Buloni. When her mother died she moved to a new town and new house with her dad. She was very lonely and had no friends. One day, she goes to the store and comes home with a Open the book the book to find out what she comes home with!

My favorite part of the book Because of Winn-Dixie is when India Opal Buloni found Winn-Dixie after he got lost. I like that part because I was sad when my dog, Roxy, got lost. Roxy was probably very scared and so was Winn-Dixie. I was sad when I lost Roxy and Indai was also probably very sad to find Winn-Dixie all alone. This book reminds me of a book called Strider. It is also about finding a stray dog somewhere. I think the lesson of the story is to appreciate your friends and what you have because you never know when you will lose it.

I think the type of reader that would enjoy this book would be people who have dogs or someone who moved to a new town. They could relate to this book because they would know what India was going through throughout this book. I think students in 3rd to 5th grade should read this book.

Kylie S. is a student in Ms. Treuer's 3rd Grade Class
2016-2017