1 The Witch of Blackbird Pond

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Written by Elizabeth Speare

Reviewed by Annabel S. (age 10)

The Witch of Blackbird Pond

Kit Tyler grew up on the island of Barbados but after her grandfather dies, Kit must move to Connecticut to live with the only family she has left, a group of Puritans. Kit struggles to adjust to her new way of life but things only get harder when she becomes friends with Hannah Tupper, known as “the witch.” Kit does a lot for her new family. Kit hears gossip in the community. She does not understand that by being suspected of being a witch she could ruin her reputation and life. Kit also falls in love along the way. If you want to find out who Kit falls in love with and how her life in Wethersfield unfolds then you will have to read the book to find out.

I love this book because it has so much detail and from all the descriptions I felt like I was in the story. I disliked Judith because I felt like she was snobby and only liked people because of money. The unique thing about this book is that as I read the book it felt like I was inserted into the plot. I really needed to know more about the book as I kept reading. I learned a lesson from this book and that lesson is to never assume things about a person before you get the facts. You may hear things that may not be true and if you have never even met the person you cannot know that those things are true.

I recommend this book to readers 9 and up because younger kids might not be patient. There are tricky words and some of the words are hard to understand. Also the book’s mix of Puritan history into the story is a little challenging. I hope that when people read this book they feel the same that I felt. Watch out for twists and turns because they are what readers will admire most about this book.