1 Friendship According to Humphrey

Friendship According to Humphrey

Written by Betty Birney

Reviewed by J.R. (age 8)

Friendship According to Humphrey

Do you like hamsters? Well, this hamster is named Humphrey. He is a classroom pet and gets to go home with a student every weekend. He comes out of his cage to explore the world every day when the kids are outside the classroom. He never gets caught, but sometimes he is very close. Then, Humprey’s favorite teacher moves to Mexico. A new teacher comes in and takes over the class. Read the book to find out what happens next.

I liked this book because it had some sad parts and happy parts. One of the sad parts was when Humphrey’s favorite teacher moved to Mexico and in the end she came back to take over the class again. My favorite part of this book was when Humphrey got picked from the crowd to be an example for the magician. The book made me feel good for Humphrey when he came out of his cage to explore the classroom.

I recommend this book to people who like hamsters and who like interesting stores with some magic in it. This book is great to read with your parents or it would make a great read aloud. This book would be good for 3rd-4th grade.