Bailey School Kids: Ninjas Don't Bake Pumpkin Pies

Written by Debbie and Marcia Thorton Jones Dadey • Illustrated by John Steven Gurney

Reviewed by Isaac R. (age 8)

This book is about the Bailey School kids. Their names are Eddie, Howie, Liza, and Melody. The friends are at the playground. Melody smells pumpkin pie that smells so good that she didnít talk, move or walk Ė she could just smell. They met a person selling pumpkin pie; he had a samurai sword so they thought he was a ninja who was there to steal priceless art. But they were mistaken Ė it was just his exhibit from the museum.

I liked the book because it shows not to judge people for what they look like. So if someone is pretty they could be mean. Eddie reminded me of my friend Ethan. In the book Eddie decided that someone was a ninja just because he had a sword, but that wasnít true. One time at my friend Ethanís house, he said someone was ugly, but I said that he could be nice. You just canít jump to conclusions. The book made me feel happy. Iíve read Bailey School Kids books before. I like that series because it has good characters in it, and interesting things happen to the characters.

I recommend this book because it tells not to think people are this kind of person or that kind of person because someone could think youíre this kind of person or that kind of person and youíre really not. I think my bother to read this book because he likes ninjas. My brother would like the part where the guy got out a sword and the kids thought he was going to chop them. Heíd like that part because he likes violent stuff.

Isaac R. is a student in Ms. G.'s 2nd Grade Class
2010-2011