1 Pinky and Rex and the Bully

Pinky and Rex and the Bully

Written by James Howe

Illustrated by Melissa Sweet

Reviewed by Leo C. (age 7)

Pinky and Rex and the Bully

Do you know a boy and a girl who never break apart? Who always help each other? The main characters in this book have opposite names – Pinky is a boy and Rex is a girl. Pinky likes pink even if he’s a boy. Rex’s favorite color is yellow. Did you know that? In this book a bully named Kevin knocks Pinky off his bike. Kevin says, “Pinky is a girl name!” Then Kevin pinches Pinky and commanded Pinky to fight. Mrs. Morgan comes and Kevin the bully gets in big trouble. Pinky goes to Mrs. Morgan’s house and eats cookies and drinks lemonade. Then he goes home. When he was going home, he was thinking that Pinky is a bad name for a boy. When Pinky got home, Pinky asked his dad, “Did I have another name when I was little?” His dad said yes and it was Billy. Pinky says “From now on my name is Billy and my favorite color is blue.” The next day Pinky went to Mrs. Morgan’s house. Mrs. Morgan said that you can be true to yourself and don’t change your name and your favorite color because of a dumb bully. Do you think he will like color blue and have different name? Or he will be true to himself? You need to read this story to find out.

When I read the story, I didn't like the bully, Kevin, because he was mean to Pinky. I would be friends with Pinky in real life. I am kind of the same as Pinky. In Pinky and Rex and the Bully, my favorite part was the resolution. When I read the book, I learned that you don’t have to listen to a bully. You can have a girl for a friend and your favorite color can be a girl color. I’m going to show an example: when I was little, my favorite color was orange and people thought I was weird because my favorite color was orange. But I was always true to myself.

If you have ever met with a bully, and you don’t know how to deal with him you should read Pinky and Rex and the Bully. You will learn that you can be true to yourself. And you shouldn’t listen to a bully.