1 The Hobbit

The Hobbit

Written by J.R.R. Tolkien

Illustrated by Alan Lee

Reviewed by Elizabeth P. (age 12)

The Hobbit

Have you ever wondered if dragons, dwarves, and elves exist? Then The Hobbit is the book for you. The Hobbit tells about a big-footed fellow named Bilbo Baggins. In this book, Bilbo goes on a perilous journey; he is hired as a burglar and is accompanied by a group of thirteen dwarves led by Thorin, the mighty King of the Dwarves. As they make their way to seek the dwarves' long lost treasure, they encounter ogres, and Golem, a scary monster-like creature whom Bilbo gets, or rather steals, the "One Ring" from. They also talk with elves, are followed by the dreaded Nazguls, and work together to fight the terrible dragon Smaug. I can't tell you the ending because if I do, that would spoil all the excitement. But if you find this interesting, you should check it out at your local library. Read The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. The moral of this book is, trust in your teammates and work together. That way, all will turn out fine.

The dwarves in The Hobbit are funny because they have very similar names and are always drinking ale and confusing Bilbo. The Nazguls are really creepy because they are so mysterious and are like silent assassins. The Hobbit made a lot of connections with Tolkien's trilogy, The Lord of the Rings. The Lord of the Rings is actually the sequel to The Hobbit.

My opinion of J.R.R. Tolkien's style would be very simple. J.R.R. Tolkien writes in a mysterious, yet thrilling style that catches the reader in a web of excitement. His story has a smooth explanation for things, but the book can also be confusing at times considering it is a book of magic and mystery. J.R.R. Tolkien illustrates his books as well as he writes them. His illustrations are beautiful and original and are very detailed. I would recommend this book for good readers who like fantasy and magic. I recommend this for people who are around 5th to 8th grade.