1 Little House on the Prairie

Little House on the Prairie

Written by Laura Ingalls Wilder

Illustrated by Garth Williams

Reviewed by Amanda K. (age 10) & Olivia T. (age 10)

Little House on the Prairie

Have you ever wondered what it was like to be a pioneer? This book will let you feel all of the experiences of life as a pioneer. Laura Ingalls, age 9, and her family are moving from a snug little house in the big woods of Wisconsin to the open prairie of Oklahoma. They leave their family and friends behind and set off to a strange new land. The wide open prairie is a wild place to live. As they continue their journey, they face breaking ice, Indians, and the challenge of a new start.

We enjoyed this book because it was written by a pioneer who experienced these things and knew how it felt. Our favorite part was when the grasshoppers came and ate all the crops. We liked this part because Laura and her family had to have confidence in the next year's harvest. We admire the main character because she was brave and had to face many hard times. We also found the dog Jack very brave. He had to walk all the way to the new land underneath the wagon. This book made our mothers yell at us to go to bed, because we stayed up all night reading and trying to get to the next interesting part. The book leaves you on cliffhangers as you start a new chapter.

If you're looking for an interesting story about pioneer life, "Little House on the Prairie" is just the book for you!