1 The Boxcar Children

The Boxcar Children

Written by Gertrude Chandler Warner

Illustrated by Likate Deal

Reviewed by Keith W (age 9)

The Boxcar Children

Henry, Jesse, Violet, and Benny were left without parents. They were afraid of their Grandfather because they didn't know him and they thought he was mean. So they spent their lives hiding from their Grandfather and other people who were suspicious of them. They found a boxcar in the woods and made a home there. They worked for Dr. Moore. Henry joined a race and won. Then Violet got sick and they took her to Dr. Moore's place. To find out what happened to Violet and the children, read the book.

I think this book is good because the children are about my age. It showed how they cared for one another.

My favorite part was when they ran away from the bakery people. I like how they outsmarted the big people.

My favorite characters were the children. They were homeless at the beginning of the story and at the end of the story they had a home with their Grandfather.

I recommend this book to children just like me. I enjoyed reading about kids my age and how they could survived on their own. I am glad I have a family that loves me, but I wonder if I could do what these kids did if I had to.