1 Wilma Unlimited

Wilma Unlimited

Written by Kathleen Krull

Illustrated by David Diaz

Reviewed by Patricia K. (age 7)

Wilma Unlimited

This book is about a woman named Wilma Rudolph who became one of the world's fastest female runners. This is an amazing story because when Wilma was a little girl she had polio and people thought she would never walk again. Wilma had a hard life growing up. There were 22 kids in her family and not a lot of money. Wilma was sick all the time and there was only one doctor who would treat black people. Because Wima could not walk Wilma was not allowed to go to school or church. But Wilma did not get discouraged. She kept doing her exercises and working hard to walk again, first with a brace then on her own. By the time she was in high school, she was a star on her basketball team. Because of her basketball talents, she had a chance to go to college, where she became a track star. From there she went to the Olympics and won 3 gold medals.

I really loved this book because it was about a girl who didn't give up. This book reminds me of my Nana because my Nana had to learn to walk again too but my Nana's still working on it.

I recommend this book to people who like sports heroes. I also recommend this book to people who like art because the book has pretty pictures.