1 The Amber Spyglass

The Amber Spyglass

Written by Philip Pullman

Reviewed by Hannah T. (age 10)

The Amber Spyglass

Will and Lyra are great friends that met just recently. They each have special devices that they have learned to use. Lyra has her aletheiometer that can be asked any question in the world and it will answer it in a matter of seconds. Will has the subtle knife that can cut a window into other worlds and cut through any substance. Lyra is under a sleep spell and dreams that she is talking to her dead friend Roger. When Will saves her with a special waking powder, Lyra feels the need to go to the world of the dead and apologize to Roger, because she feels it was her fault he was killed. This is a story of bravery, love and friendship.

I like The Amber Spyglass because even though it does not have illustrations, Phillip Pullman uses such description that it paints a picture in your head. This book is so good that I could not put it down. The characters are adventurous, brave, kind, and no matter how much it hurts they never give up. This book is bursting with adventure and you will wish the book would never end.

I would recommend The Amber Spyglass to people who like adventure and a lot of great detail. This book jumps around a bit, so if you read it you need to be able to follow pretty well. It is a good book for an advanced reader. I would recommend it to people in grades 5-11.