1 A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning

Written by Lemony Snicket

Reviewed by Andrew J. (age 8)

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket is about three orphans who lose their parents in a fire. In the beginning, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny become orphans and go live with an evil man named Count Olaf. Next, Count Olaf makes them do hard chores like make dinner (and not telling them what he wants) and scrub the toilet with their toothbrushes. Lastly, Klaus finds out Count Olaf’s plan to steal their fortune and tries to stop him. All in all, you’ll have to read it to find out if the orphans stop Count Olaf.

A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket is an awesome book. First of all, it leaves you in suspense. For example, when Count Olaf said, “And now, ladies and gentlemen I have an announcement. There is no reason to continue tonight’s performance, for my marriage to Violet is legal and I am in control of her fortune.” In addition, the author gives funny word descriptions. For example, the author gives two funny word descriptions for literally and figuratively. If you are literally jumping for joy it means you are leaping in the air because you are happy. If you are figuratively jumping for joy it means you are so happy could jump for joy. Lastly, the book is mysterious. For example, Count Olaf has a tattoo of an eye on his ankle and the children don’t know what it means. Clearly, A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning is a great book.

If you like a hint of mystery this is the book for you. Do you like books with mystery? I rate this book 5 stars because of all the funny but serious parts. I recommend this book for 3rd and 4th graders because some of the parts are complicated. I highly suggest you read A Series of Unfortunate Events: The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket. You don’t want to miss this book!