1 Fish in a Tree

Fish in a Tree

Written by Lynda Mullaly Hunt

Reviewed by Ben S. (age 8)

Fish in a Tree

“There’s a fish in a tree!” Just kidding. Come explore the book with me! But first meet a girl named Ally. When she is in school, she feels like a fish in a tree.

At the beginning of the story, Ally gets in trouble because she can’t read. She accidentally gives her teacher a sympathy card for her baby shower. But then she gets a new teacher, Mr. Daniels. He is a really good teacher and he decides to help Ally. He finds out that Ally has dyslexia, and he spends extra time with her to teach her read. Ally learns so much from her new teacher, especially that she actually can do a lot more than she ever thought she could.

Why did I like this book? Sometimes I feel like Ally; school is hard and making nice friends is hard too. Ally has trouble in school and she is bullied all the time. But she makes two new friends that make her happy. My favorite characters are Ally’s best friends, Albert and Keisha because they’re the good guys. They like Ally the way she is, even though she is different. This book is unique, and very unlike other books I have read. This is because this book made me feel sad and happy at the same time.

I recommend all kids and even adults to read this book because it is really interesting. It may teach you how to be a nice person and have a caring heart for people. You may also learn that if you work hard enough, anything is possible!