1 Slippery Slope

Slippery Slope

Written by Lemony Snicket

Illustrated by Brett Helquist

Reviewed by Alex D. (age 12)

Slippery Slope

The Slippery Slope is an adventurous book about two orphans trying to get their baby sister from a terrible villain who wants to take over their fortune. Klaus and Violet stop the falling caravan that Count Olaf unhooked from his car with a drag shoot. Now they have to climb up the mountain to save their baby sister, Sunny, who is in the hands of Count Olaf. They started walking up the mountain when a lot of snow gnats attacked them. They were biting them so hard that they had to hide in a jacket. They ran into a cave where they met the Snow Scouts. They became friends with a boy who showed them who the V.F.D. was. Count Olaf, who was at the top of the mountain, burned it down. What is the V.F.D? Will Sunny be saved? If you want to learn more, read this book.

From this book I learned that you should listen to your younger siblings. Sometimes they may be right! If you listen to your younger siblings, they might listen to you and you will get more respect from them.

The author's style is very depressing. From the books I have read, this author is always depressing and he does not write happy endings. If you only like happy endings this is not the book for you.

There are not that many illustrations, but they are cool. The illustrator, Brett Helquist, focuses on one part and makes it more exaggerated than it should be: for example; she can focus too much on the clothes and make the body inside look really small.

The story was very adventurous. The characters were very depressed and did not have any friends. I would recommend this book to people that like adventures that are in grades 5-8. You would have to start at the first book of the series, The Bad Beginning, to get the whole story.