1 Fever 1793

Fever 1793

Written by Laurie Halse Anderson

Reviewed by Kristen B. (age 11)

Fever 1793

"Buzz, Buzz" went a feisty mosquito flying around Matilda's ear. The yellow fever is going around again and it's spreading quickly. This horrid disease is spread by those vicious, beastly mosquitoes. It makes everyone who gets it drop like flies. Farmers will not come to town anymore, so food is scarce. All there is to eat is leather-like beans and bits of bread made out of saw dust. When Matilda's mom gets yellow fever, will she survive? Will Matilda have to live somewhere else for a while to stay away from the yellow fever? If you want to find out what happens to Matilda read this book.

This book gives me chills down my spine because the Yellow Fever is killing everyone. I liked the book because while you are reading you almost want to fix the problem, but can't. My favorite character is Mother. I like her because she is strict, down to earth, and stern. She is a bit like me. This story reminds me of cancer. I was lucky because my friend's grandpa and my grandpa both got cancer at the same time. Unfortunately, the disease took her grandpa, but a miracle healed mine.

I think this book is phenomenal but only kids 6th grade or older should read it.