1 A Series of Unfortunate Events - The Wide Window

A Series of Unfortunate Events - The Wide Window

Written by Lemony Snicket

Illustrated by no one

Reviewed by Ceres P. (age 8)

In The Wide Window, one of the main characters is Count Olaf who disguised himself as Captain Sham, a sailor, so he could take the Baudelaires. The Baudelaires are Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. They are orphans who get handed over to late relatives who are still alive. The Baudelaires live a very miserable life because of their caretakers. Their caretakers have been Count Olaf, Uncle Monty (who was in the second book), and Aunt Josephine in the third book, which is the one I am telling you about. Count Olaf was mean and killed Uncle Monty in the second book.

In this book, Count Olaf pushed Aunt Josephine, their caretaker into Lake Lachrymose with the Leeches, but she did not die.

Aunt Josephine is basically scared of any electronic thing. For example, she does not turn on the stove or answer the phone. She also does not turn on the oven.

Violet likes to make inventions and is the oldest. Klaus likes to read and is neither the youngest or oldest. Sunny is a baby who likes to bite things.

A lesson I learned in this book is, if you are as mean as Count Olaf, you can get punished the same way Count Olaf got punished. Read this book to see what happens to him.

This author has written lots of other books in the same series. The author is Lemony Snicket. This author makes the stories miserable because they lost their parents in a fire.

This story reminds me of a sad part in my life. The part that reminds me of it is when Aunt Josephine has a big, big problem with her house. Her house is a pretty big house on two little long peg legs that hold it up. Aunt Josephine was sad when she had the problem with her house.

My favorite part was when Aunt Josephine got pushed off the boat with the leeches. This was an exciting part but it was sad too. It was scary to think that she was in the lake with all of the leeches. I would be very scared if I was Aunt Josephine.

I recommend this book for kids in second grade and up. Kids who like miserable stories and mean stories will like this book.