1 The Witches

The Witches

Illustrated by Quentin Blake

Reviewed by Lexi W. (age 11)

The Witches

The Witches is a wondrous fantasy book about a little boy and his witch crazy grandmother. Over summer vacation, a tragedy occurs. The grandmother gets pneumonia. She is so sick that they can't go to Norway like they wanted to. Instead, they go to a nice hotel on the West Coast of England. At the hotel, the little boy sees something that will no longer remain a secret. He sees tons of English witches! To see what happens next read The Witches!

Roald Dahl keeps us laughing. Believe it or not, I don't think I could have laughed harder! My favorite character is the grandmother because she is so patient but she speaks her mind. The best part of the book is when the grandmother was telling funny stories to the children about what happens if the witches get them. This is the best part because it is at the beginning of the book and it hooks the reader in. The illustrations really helped me understand confusing words, because I could visualize what was going on. So trust me, you should definitely read The Witches!

I recommend this book to third, fourth, or fifth graders who love a fantasy by Roald Dahl. The Witches will make any Roald Dahl fan really laugh out loud!