1 Wiley and the Hairy Man

Wiley and the Hairy Man

Written by Molly Garrett Bang

Reviewed by Christopher B. (age 8)

Wiley and the Hairy Man

This book is about a kid and hairy man that looks like a gorilla. Wiley and his mother trick the hairy Man three times. One trick reminds me of The Three Little Pigs, when the chimney is hot. When Wiley went into the swamp to cut down bamboo, the hairy man wanted to get Wiley. The hairy man is scared of hound dogs!

My favorite part is when Wiley tricks the Hairy Man and the Hairy Man turns into a possum! Wiley climbs trees to get away from the Hairy Man. My favorite activity is to climb trees! Once, my sister was chasing me and I climbed up a tree.

I really like this book because the illustrations are good and the pictures match the words. I like the picture of the Hairy Man in the form of a possum. I like the word ?conjure?, it means magic. The dictionary says that suspense means ?when a story builds to a high point?. What?s going to happen next? Is Wiley going to get eaten? This book is full of suspense.

This book is not like any other book I read before! Do you like American folktales? If you do, I recommend this book to you.