1 Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger

Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger

Written by Louis Sachar

Reviewed by Janae M. (age 10)

Wayside School Gets A Little Stranger

This story is about a school called Wayside Elementary. The school has been closed for 243 days just for repairs and every kid that used to go there hangs his head low, and I mean low! When the school opens up again, the kids rush through the building, eager to return to their classroom and teacher. The class on the 30th floor has some bad news though?very bad news. Well, to them at least. Their teacher tells her students she?s having a baby. When she leaves to go to the hospital, the students get a series of really weird and mean substitutes. Will things ever go back to normal? Who knows? Read the book to find out more.

I like this book because they have very unusual names and characters like Eric Bacon, Eric Ovens, and Eric Fry, and their teacher Mrs. Jewels. The cafeteria lady is named Mrs. Mush. There are also some strange men in suits who pop up unexpectedly.

My favorite character is their principal. When he runs into his office door, he decides he doesn?t want anyone to call it a door any more. He wants the whole school to call it a Goozack!

The setting is great! Wayside school has 30 floors, each one a different classroom. Instead of being built long ways like most school, it was built straight up and down. The kids in the story are on the very top floor and had to climb stairs all the way because the elevator only goes down!

This book is a great humorous fiction story which is my favorite kind. Something bizarre is going on in every chapter and I usually laughed out loud. The reason the school was shut down was because it was invaded by cows! Even though all the cows are supposed to be gone, every now and then, students still hear a ?moo? in the hallways but no one can find the cow.

I recommend this book for people who like made stories and fairytales. It?s also for people with a good sense of humor and like to laugh. This book is for ages 6 and up.