1 Dear Mr. Henshaw

Dear Mr. Henshaw

Written by Beverly Cleary

Reviewed by Veronica D. (age 9)

Dear Mr. Henshaw

This story is about a boy named Leigh Botts. He writes letters to his favorite author named Mr. Henshaw. He tells him about his life. His parents are divorced. His dad took his dog Bandit. In the middle of the book, Leigh wrote about a ten-foot wax man. His dad came to visit and finally called him "Leigh" instead of just "kid". In the end, he thinks his parents will get back together, but they don't. How sad!

I've read a book named "Diary of a Worm" by Doreen Cronin. It's kind of like this book because this worm has a diary like Leigh. I've read six books by Beverly Cleary. One of them is "Muggie Maggie". It's not like this book, because she doesn't write letters to an author. It's more about a little kid. My auntie got divorced two years ago, so that's why I feel bad for Leigh. It's sad because of all the changes he went through. My cousins went through a lot of changes, too.

I recommend this book because it was funny and sad. If your parents are divorced, I'd recommend this book for you, too. Kids fourth grade and up can read this book on their own.