1 Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie

Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie

Written by Kristiana Gregory

Reviewed by Kelli H. (age 10)

Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie

Across the Wide and Lonesome Prairie is about a 13 year old girl named Hattie Campbell. She is traveling west in a covered wagon to the strange and wild lands of Oregon. Hattie is telling her adventure through a diary.

One part of her diary said, "I don't like the way these boys wave their rifles around. One boy accidentally shot a nine-year old in the neck" Many exciting and sad things happen during their journey. Will Hattie and her family make it to Oregon in one piece or will something horrible happen? Read the book and you'll find out.

I think this book is very interesting. It was serious, funny, sad, and happy. I really enjoyed the book because it's a historic fiction diary from a girl who traveled west. My favorite part was when Hattie told Mrs. Anderson (a lady traveling west) that, "it's a good thing you named your baby after a steamboat because she sure sounds like one".

My favorite character is Mrs. Kinker because she acts all sweet so people like her and then when no one is looking she steals their items. Hattie reminds me of Michelle, my sister, because she's smart and funny, just like Hattie.

I recommend this book because it's an exciting historical adventure. If you're interested in the year 1847 then this is the right book for you.