1 Number the Stars

Number the Stars

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Ashley B. (age 11)

The book I read was Number the Stars by Lois Lowry. This book is about World War II and the Jews escaping for their freedom. A Nazi soldier knocked down the door to the Rosen?s apartment looking for them. Do you think the soldiers caught them? One character in the story named Annemarie learned a very important lesson. The lesson that she learned was don?t afraid to be brave. I think the author is trying to tell you that you should not be afraid to do what?s right.

I thought this book was very interesting. This book catches my attention because after every chapter it leaves you hanging. My favorite part of the book was when Annemarie was going to bring a package to her uncle in the boat. Annemarie did not know that there was a secret compartment where the Rosen?s were hiding. This is my favorite part because I think it is very clever and it could save a lot of people?s lives. This is like another book I read called the Underground Railroad. They are alike because they both leave you hanging and they both help a lot of people escape to freedom. Did Annemarie make it in time to give her uncle the package? Did the Rosen?s get to Sweden safely? Read the book to find out.

I recommend this to anyone who likes to read historical fiction. Number the Stars could tell you what happened to the Jews in Denmark during World War II Interested readers would like Number the Stars because the main character Annemarie was brave and risked her life for her friend.