1 The Giver

The Giver

Written by Lois Lowry

Reviewed by Ezra S. (age 9)

The Giver

The Giver is about a boy named Jonas. Jonas' best friends are Asher and Fiona. In his community there is no war or pain. There are no choices. Everyone is assigned a job in the community. They receive special training at the age of 12. Jonas is singled out to become the new receiver of memory from the Giver. The Giver alone holds all the memories including the pain and the good things in life. In Jonas' family unit his dad is a nurturer. A baby named Gabrial is put into their family. Jonas has been training hard with the Giver and can sense a specialness in Gabrial. When he learns that Gabrial is going to be released, he panics because being released means killing them. Jonas has to do somthing, but what? Read the book to find out!

I thought it was really good because the author used really interesting words. My favorite part was when Jonas had his first dream and started taking medicine. I liked that because it reminded me of when I started taking medicine. I liked Asher the best because he reminded me of myself. I think Jonas changed a little after some of the memories like war. The Giver had no pictures. I thought that this book was unique because the author used a different plot than most authors would choose.

I recommend this book because it was really interesting. I think that kids who like adventure and suspense would like this book. Kids also might like when Jonas is getting trained a lot and because of all the suspense!