1 The Brand New Kid

The Brand New Kid

Written by Katie Couric

Illustrated by Marjorie Priceman

Reviewed by Erik E. (age 8) & Shauna O. (age 8)

The Brand New Kid

It's the first day of school in the town of Delasky. There is a new kid that moved to Brookhaven School in Delasky. His name is Lazlo. All of the kids are not being nice to him. They are ignoring him, calling him names, and throwing things at him. Lazlo was trying to ignore them, but deep down inside it hurt him. After school Ellie saw a lady crying. Then Katie said, "That's Lazlo's mom." Lazlo's mom was upset because Lazlo was having a hard time at school. Ellie and Katie are two of Lazlo's classmates. At school Ellie walked up to Lazlo and started talking to him. If you want to find out if Lazlo fits in with the other kids you should read this book.

We think this is a very good book because there is a big surprise ending. This book made us wonder how Lazlo felt because all of his classmates were being very mean to him. Shauna's favorite part of the book was the surprise ending. Erik liked how the whole book rhymed.

If you want to learn a good lesson of how to treat a new classmate you should read The Brand New Kid. We recommend this book to readers who like big surprise endings.