1 EllRay Jakes is Not a Chicken

EllRay Jakes is Not a Chicken

Written by Sally Warner

Illustrated by Jamie Harper

Reviewed by Craig H. (age 9)

EllRay Jakes is Not a Chicken

EllRay Jakes is Not a Chicken written by Sally Warner and illustrated by Jamie Harper is a very interesting book about an 8 year old boy who is in the third grade. His name is EllRay Jakes. In the beginning, there are two boys named Jared and Stanley who bully him all the time at recess, and EllRay hates it. For example in the beginning EllRay is at recess and Jared and Stanley are telling him to go talk to his crush. EllRay hates it, and his teacher Ms. Sanchez never bothers to go outside. Then EllRay is in class and Jared trips Ellray and EllRay got hurt but didn’t want to start crying and he was embarrassed because his teacher called him sweetie. Also, EllRay is very bad at school and his dad makes a bet. If EllRay can be good for a week, he can go to Disneyland! In the end, all of the boys become friends, and get a big surprise. Read the book to find out if EllRay goes to Disneyland.

I liked EllRay Jakes is Not a Chicken because it teaches a lesson that growing up is a challenge. For example, EllRay had this enemy named Jared. EllRay absolutely hated him and they are both furious with each other all the time. When the story builds on, EllRay and Jared realize they could be good friends, and they are not mad at each other. They actually feel good about not being enemies. It makes them closer friends, and their feelings aren’t hurt. That is why it teaches a lesson. I think EllRay Jakes is a very good book to teach about being brave. For example, EllRay was good at school even though Jared was still bullying him. Also, EllRay does not want to lose Disneyland. Another example is when they were in the car they were not fighting or making faces at each other, so something was building. My favorite part in the book is when Jared and EllRay are fighting at Penny Packer Park. When they were fighting, Jared’s nose started bleeding. Heather Paton yells at EllRay, “Pick on someone your own size!” Meanwhile, EllRay is the small one! It’s also funny but sad because Jared has a crush on Heather. That is why it is my favorite part. I think EllRay Jakes is a very book for being brave. For example, every day EllRay has to get through the day getting bullied by Jared. It is really hard for him because he really wants to go to Disneyland, but Jared is lowering his percentage of going. When EllRay is at recess, Jared is right next to him, and it is just crazy because no one is out there with them and EllRay’s teacher can’t do anything about it which makes everything for EllRay harder than it already is. EllRay hates it. I also think EllRay Jakes is a very good book to teach about being brave because EllRay was good at school even though Jared was still bullying him. I think EllRay Jakes is a very good example for being brave. That is why I think it is a good book.

I would recommend this book to any third, fourth or fifth grader who likes reading books with a lot of text and not a lot of pictures. It is a very, very good series with some cliffhangers which are amazing. Also, I would recommend this book to kids that like books that have characters who are facing challenges.