Secrets According to Humphrey

Written by Betty G. Birney

Reviewed by Edward P. (age 9)

Has your classroom ever been home to lots of secrets??? In Secrets According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney this is exactly what happens. For starters, the students in Room 26 are starting a new unit on Ancient Egypt and dividing into 4 groups: Artists, Builders, Scribes and Traders. After that, Humphrey was taken home by a couple of students who invite their friends to then make secret clubs. Later, Mrs. Brisbane finds out about the clubs and stops them surprisingly easily. In the end one of the secret clubs tells Mrs. Brisbane about an ancient Egyptian game called Sennett. All in all, you just canít miss this secretive book. JOY-JOY-JOY!

In my opinion, Secrets According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney is an amazing book that grabs on, holds on and doesnít let go. First of all, it keeps you on the edge of your seat. One way itís suspenseful is a student is going to move but the author wonít tell who it is until the end. Also, itís pretty funny. One example is Humphreyís reaction when Aldo tells him that heís setting traps. Itís also descriptive. This is demonstrated by the symbols that one of the secret clubs uses. As you can see, the book is a real secret to unlock!

If you like cute animals youíre bound to like Secrets According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney. How far would you go to help a friend? I give this book a 5 star rating because itís fun to find out how Humphrey helps humans. If you like an exchange between funny and serious, youíre most likely going to enjoy this book. I would say youíre going to like Secrets According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney. YAY- YAY-YAY!!!!!!

Edward P. is a student in Mrs. Miro's 3rd Grade Class
2016-2017