1 Summer According to Humphrey

Summer According to Humphrey

Written by Betty G. Birney

Reviewed by Elliott L. (age 8)

Summer According to Humphrey

Have you ever thought school was gone forever? The book Summer According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney is about a class hamster who thinks school is gone forever. In the beginning, Humphrey, the class pet, thinks school is over but then Mrs. Mac takes him to a summer camp with all his friends in room 26! They get to do plays, skits, fun activities, and even sing songs by the campfire. Next, Humphrey learns the kids are separated into groups called The Robins, The Blue Jays, The Chickadees, and The Bobwhites. Whoever scores the most in the games gets to spend the night at the Haunted Hollow. Then, Humphrey gets chosen with The Blue Jays to go to the Haunted Hallow. You will have to read this book to find out if Humphrey and The Blue Jays will make it out alive

Summer According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney is a good and humorous book for 2nd and 3rd graders like me. Firstly, the authors style in this book is very descriptive, so you can visualize a picture in your mind. “Mrs. Mac! With bouncy black curls tumbling down her lovely, happy face, “That’s just one of the ways Betty G. Birney describes a character in Summer According to Humphrey. Furthermore, it shows sounds and movements to give clues about how the character is feeling. For example, I could tell that Humphrey was scared of a sound because he shivered and the author said he was terrified. Lastly, it is very humorous. For instance, Humphery was scared of a scratch – scratch – scratch sound and it turned out to be a mouse. As you can see Summer According to Humphery is a good and humorous book for 2nd and 3rd graders like me.

If you enjoy a little suspense and surprising scenes with a class pet Summer According to Humphrey is a good book for you. Do you want a class pet? I would rate this book 5 stars because of its hilarious moments and mysteries. If you like seeing a hamster doing skits and other funny things there’s no doubt you have got to read this book. I recommend Summer According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney because you’ll definitely like it.