1 Surprises According to Humphrey

Surprises According to Humphrey

Written by Betty G. Birney

Reviewed by Andrew B. (age 9)

Surprises According to Humphrey

Have you ever had a class pet? Well, the book Surprises According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney is about a hamster named Humphrey who helps his classmates with problems they have. In the beginning, Mrs. Brisbane announces that “spring has sprung’’ and that she has a good surprise—No test drills!!! Next, A.J. and Tabitha are annoyed at Garth and instead of reading in his social studies book Garth writes on a piece of paper ‘’ DIRTY RAT ’’ and throws it over to Humphrey’s cage. In the end, the class throws a party and declares a day “ Mrs. Brisbane Appreciation Day. ”They also make a song about her. You’ll have to read this book if you want to know about Humphrey’s other adventures! Squeak-Squeak-Squeak!

In my opinion, Surprises According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney is an awesome book that’s so exciting that you can’t wait to turn the page! Firstly, it entertains you with characters that are clever. For example, Humphrey goes out of his cage and hides from Heidi in order to help her. Next, it has elements that are normal in real life. An example is, Humphrey’s friends Garth and A.J. were looking for him at night but couldn’t find him even though he was in the yard. Finally, the author made it seem like Humphrey could really talk. In fact, while Garth and A.J. were looking for Humphrey he yelled” Over Here” to them. Finally, the author made it seem like Humphrey could really talk. In conclusion, Surprises According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney is a very entertaining book. Squeak!

If you like animals that squeak then you’ll love the book Surprises According to Humphrey. Would you like a class pet? I would give this book five stars because it shows how a hamster is a problem solver for human problems. I would recommend this book to second and third graders because the author makes it seem like a hamster can talk. I would suggest you read Surprises According to Humphrey by Betty G. Birney if you want a hamster! JOY-JOY-JOY!!!!