1 Harry Potter #1

Harry Potter #1

Written by J.K. Rowling

Illustrated by None

Reviewed by Corinne L. (age 11)

Harry Potter #1

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is a really long and very well detailed book! It all begins when Harry is a baby. Hagrid, the expelled Gamekeeper, dropped Harry off at the Dursley's front doorstep, Mrs. Dursley is Harry's mother's sister. As soon as Harry's Aunt Petunia saw him, she wanted nothing to do with the poor little infant, but she took him in anyway. By the tenth year of Harry's stay at the Dursley's, he had been mistreated and lived in a cupboard under the stairs. Dudley, the Dursley's son, was fat, ugly, spoiled, and loved to pick on Harry! Soon Harry started receiving letters from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. He was so excited, but the Dursleys wouldn't let him have the letters. Finally, Hagrid came and they had to! Read the book to find out how the year at Hogwarts goes for Harry!

This was a very funny, interesting, and well-written book. My favorite part was when Hagrid had a baby dragon, and he didn't want to give it up. It was hilarious! There was a character named Snape who was the potion professor, and he was always mean to Harry, but in the end Snape definitely changes. I liked the illustrations at the beginning of each chapter because they always gave me an idea as to what the chapter was going to be about. This book is the first in a series, and I am really hoping that the next three books are as well written as the first. Readers will find that this book always leaves them wanting to read more and sometimes leaves them wondering.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading, especially if they like wonderfully funny books filled with surprising and suspenseful events.