Because of Winn Dixie

Written by Kate DiCamillo

Reviewed by Diego M. (age 9), Diamond T. (age 10) and Jaylee M. (age 10)

This is a tale of a girl named Opal. Opal found a dog in the Winn-Dixie grocery store, brought him home, and named him Winn-Dixie. Read to find out what happens next in this book.

I'm Jaylee, and my favorite part is when Opal finds a dog at the Winn-Dixie store. Opal took the dog home and named him Winn-Dixie. I have a connection with Opal because my mom saved a dog. We named him Derben, and we never gave him away. I'm more like Winn-Dixie, because I will protect my family from danger, and I think Winn-Dixie would too.

I'm Diamond, and my favorite part is when Opal found Winn-Dixie under the bed, because I was so happy that they found him. I made a connection when Winn-Dixie got lost. Once my sister got lost, but we found her. I'm more like Otis, because sometimes I am shy like Otis is.

I'm Diego, and my favorite part is when Opal and Gloria had the party, because it was nice when they brought people to the party. I made a connection with Opal because she can be really friendly to other people, and I can be friendly too. I am most like Winn-Dixie because he is afraid of thunderstorms, and I am a little bit afraid of thunderstorms too.

We want people who love animals to read this book, because this book is about a girl named Opal and a dog named Winn-Dixie. The part we think readers will like best is when Winn-Dixie gets rescued. People who love animals will love that part. In fact, you might just cheer out loud!

Diego M., Diamond T. and Jaylee M. are students in Mrs. Schimmelpfennig's and Mrs. Cormeny's 3rd Grade Class
2015-2016