1 Because of Winn Dixie

Because of Winn Dixie

Reviewed by Meah M. (age 9), Luisangel M (age 9) & Mercadies R. (age 8)

Because of Winn Dixie

Opal found a dog at the store, and she named him Winn-Dixie. When they go out they make a lot of friends. Winn-Dixie is a really nice dog. Sometimes Winn-Dixie can be funny, and he smiles...a lot! When Opal found Winn-Dixie he was a mess. She said Winn-Dixie looked liked a tornado, but she took care of him anyway. Read the book to find out how many friends Opal and Winn-Dixie meet.

I'm Mercadies, and I like the part when Gloria Dump showed Opal the tree because the tree was pretty. Gloria had lots of bottles on the tree. The bottles on the tree meant that she had drank beer. Each bottle is a symbol for Gloria to help her not make bad choices anymore. I am more like Gloria Dump. Gloria Dump is nice and patient, and I am nice and patient too. I can make a connection with the part of the story where Winn-Dixie is like my dog. Because my dog is scared of thunderstorms just like Winn-Dixie is afraid of thunderstorms. Plus, when it is night he wakes all of us up when he barks because of the storm.

I'm Meah, and my favorite part is when the Dewberry boys told Opal to not go in the witch's house. Opal also called the Dewberry boys bald headed babies. Even though it was rude, it was still funny. I just hope it did not hurt their feelings. I am more like Gloria Dump because I went to my friend's house and drank juice (tea). I also like dogs, and I feed my dog peanut butter. Plus, I am nice. Gloria Dump likes and does all of these things too. I made a connection with Winn-Dixie because I was coming home from summer school, and a storm came, and I got scared, just like Winn-Dixie got scared during the storm.

I'm Luisangel, and I like the part when Geurtrude said, “Dog!” When parrots say something it sounds funny and silly. I am more like Otis, because he owns a lot of pets and I own a lot of pets too. I made a connection with Opal. When I moved to Ottumwa, Iowa I was shy. I did not have that many friends. On the last day of school I got some friends. Opal ended up making lots of friends too.

We recommend this book to everyone! No mater who you are, you are going to love Winn-Dixie. We think you will especially like the part when Gloria Dump showed Opal the tree, because it's kind of like Gloria is sharing a secret. This is a really good part of the book. We think this is a really great book too!