1 Lulu's Mysterious Mission

Lulu's Mysterious Mission

Written by Judith Viorst

Illustrated by Kevin Cornell

Reviewed by Samantha E. (age 8)

Lulu's Mysterious Mission

Lulu’s Mysterious Mission by Judith Viorst is a great book. In the beginning, Lulu learns that her parents are going on a trip without her! To make matters worse, she gets an ice-cold-babysitter named Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky. Lulu tries everything to get rid of Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky. Lulu tried climbing out a window. Lulu even calls her friend, Mabel, to bring her cats over because she knows Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky is allergic to cats. In the end, Lulu finds out that Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky is a spy and Lulu begs and begs to be one too. Will Lulu succeed to be a spy? Read the book to find out if Lulu ever becomes a spy. Will she?

In my opinion, Lulu is hard working. I think so because Lulu works hard to get rid of Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky. For example, Lulu purposely calls her friend, Mabel to bring her cats over because she knows that Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky is allergic to them. My favorite part is when Lulu turns on her stereo and television set, raising the volume as high as it will go and hopes Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky will knock down the door. Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky tells Lulu to turn off the noise and let her in. I also think this book is funny. I think this because when Miss Sonia Sofia Solinsky comes into the house she says hello by saying, “Lulu the eagle has landed.” I repeat “Lulu, the eagle has landed.” I think that this is funny because you don’t normally say hello by the eagle has landed. The illustrations helped me understand the text. I think this because when the author said Lulu stomped up the stairs there was a picture showing Lulu stomping up the stairs, putting her fists down. She was also frowning and her eyes were mad.

I recommend this book to people who like to laugh because this book is funny. For example, in the beginning, the author apologizes for the book not being about a mysterious mission and says now you have been warned. I think this because when I was reading this part, I could not stop laughing. I would give this book five stars because it is great.