1 Melvin Beederman the Grateful Fred

Melvin Beederman the Grateful Fred

Written by Greg Trine

Illustrated by Rhode Montijo

Reviewed by Matthew P. (age 9)

Melvin Beederman the Grateful Fred

Did you ever want to make the world a better place? Well in Melvin Beederman, Superhero: The Grateful Fred by Greg Trine that is what Superhero Melvin and his sidekick, Candace want to do. In the beginning, Melvin receives a text from the band, The Grateful Fred, that they are getting threatening letters. They ask Melvin to come to their concert, just in case something bad happens. You will have to read the story to find out the story to find out what happens at the concert. The reader knows that Joe the Bad Guy is behind this. Joe the Bad Guy is doing this because The Grateful Fred kicked him out of their band. Read the book to find out if Melvin and Candace find out it is Joe the Bad Guy and stop him.

I love the story because it is very funny. There are a lot of funny parts but my favorite is when Melvin makes pretzel flavored ice cream. He puts in 68 cups of sugar and 111 cups of milk! Melvin knows there are 179 cups in all because he loves math. I like Melvin because he never gives up. For example, it takes him five to six tries to get off the ground when he needs to fly, but he does not give up. “Crash! Splat! Thud! Kabonk!” is what happens when he tries to fly. I like the pictures. One picture shows when Joe the Brainless gets pastrami to weaken Melvin when his weakness is really bologna. These are some of the reasons why I like Melvin Beederman, Superhero: The Grateful Fred.

I recommend the book to 3rd to 5th grades and also people who like superheroes and action. This book teaches you about friendship because Melvin and Candace work together and never give up. The illustrations are funny and help you understand the story. So don’t forget to check out Melvin Beederman and the Grateful Fred.