1 Bud, Not Buddy

Bud, Not Buddy

Written by Christopher Curtis

Reviewed by Kyle M. (age 11)

Have you ever lost a loved one, possibly one of your parents? Well Bud, in Bud, Not Buddy, doesn’t have a mom. She passed away when Bud was only 6 years old. Bud lives in a foster home and gets picked up by a mean, rude family, called the Amoses. When he is there he gets treated badly, so he runs away and tries to find who he thinks his dad is, Herman E. Calloway. He thinks it’s his dad, because his mom kept pictures of him. He meets a lot of people on the way, like Lefty Lewis, Bugs and a lot more. Some are nice, but others aren’t. Nothing will stop him, but he knows when “enough is enough”, which will help him on his journey to find Herman E. Calloway. He finds Herman E. Callaway, but is he is dad. Is he even related. This book is about sticking together even if you’re different.

Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis is an exciting and adventurous book, that I strongly recommend, because I never got bored. The words in this book make the story come alive, because it uses vivid details. I felt like it was happening right in front of me. Bud is my favorite character, because he is like me and he always says “my name is Bud, not Buddy”. I think it is probably one of the best books I have ever read, because it has both sad and funny parts.

You’ll never be bored by this awesome, exciting, and adventurous Newbery award winner Bud, Not Buddy. This book might be a little long, but you’ll love it. I think this book is good for ages 10 years of age and up. Have fun reading!