1 The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963

The Watsons Go to Birmingham - 1963

Written by Christopher Curtis

Reviewed by Kathryn C. (age 11)

Have you ever been to Birmingham? If not you can take an adventure with the Watsons in Watsons go to Birmingham-1963. The Watsons have many funny problems throughout the book like, Byron getting his lips stuck to the mirror and Kenny and Byron killing a bird. Their house is getting a little crazy so Mama and Papa decide go to Alabama to relax and take a breather. When they finally get to Birmingham and see Grandma Sands they find blacks aren’t being treated fairly. Some problems are even close to death. My favorite parts is when Mama tried to burn Byron’s fingertips, Joey kept blowing the matches out! I couldn’t put the book down.

There’s Mama, who loves her family and has a gap between her teeth. Mama is one of my favorite characters because she’s full of life and reminds me of my mom! Then there’s Papa who always jokes around and I mean all the time! Kenny, he looks up to his older brother, Byron, but he shouldn’t though. He’s the best reader in the class, and loves dinosaurs. Byron is a juvenile delinquent, who always gets into trouble and “He thinks he’s so cool,” says Kenny. Byron helps his brother throughout the book, like when bullies come and pick on Kenny. So I guess he can be a good brother! Then there’s Joey, she’s cute and helpful around Mama and is the youngest of the Watsons.

I love this book, because the family is kind of like mine, we stick together no matter what! I recommend this book to people who love mischief and a family who sticks together!